Whole Foods listeria – Whole Foods sums up the feeling of organic and safe foods but that reputation (real or not) is in danger due to a large scale multi-state cheese recall that may affect some Whole Foods products.
Through DNA finger printing a strain of listeria responsible already for a death, a miscarriage and hospitalizations has been tracked back to Wisconsin-based Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese Company. That is according to the CDC.
Cheese dated July 1st or sooner was voluntarily recalled by the manufacturer on July 3rd.
On July 5th Whole Foods announced a recall related to cheese from that source and here are the labelling details.
- Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas: Les Freres, PLU code 299682
- Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, New Mexico, Utah: Crave Brothers Les Freres, PLU code of 299682
- Florida: Les Freres Wash Rind Product of USA, PLU code of 294473
- Kentucky, Maryland, New Jersey (stores in Marlton and Princeton only), Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, Washington D.C.: Crave Bros Les Freres, PLU code of 294473
- *Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Wisconsin: Crave Brothers Les Freres Cheese by Pound, PLU code of 294473
- Oregon, Washington: Les Freres Crave Brothers, PLU code of 294473
- Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee: Les Freres Crave Brothers PO-RK, PLU code of 294473
The products should be discarded and receipts taken into store for a full refund.
ADVERTISEMENT: CONTENT CONTINUED BELOW
A series of Q and As related to this horrible outbreak can be found on the CDC website.
Of course Whole Foods are dealing with the situation in what seems like an efficient and responsible way.
Did you have any of these products? Did you eat them or find out about the issue and get a full refund?