Ways to Reduce Stress at Work - For most people, finding ways to reduce stress at work is absolutely crucial. Time and time again, research has shown that stress can cause serious health problems by weakening your immune system. The high levels of cortisol that run through your veins every time you become stressed can make you susceptible to colds, heart disease, diabetes and even cancer.
Ways to Reduce Stress at Work
You may have a high pressure job with a job that pushes your buttons. Or maybe you are surrounded by coworkers whose presence makes your blood pressure skyrocket. Either way, it’s time to make some changes in your everyday work routine to reduce the level of stress you experience. That way you can be happier and healthier for the long run.
Reduce Stress by Eating Right at Work!
What you eat can help you beat stress. Below is a list of the top Foods That Reduce Stress:
1) Peppermint - Peppermint in itself is very soothing and relaxing when ingested as tea or in dessert dishes.
2) Leafy Greens - Many leafy greens like Swiss Chard and spinach contain high levels of magnesium which can lower your levels of the stress hormone Cortisol.
3) Almonds - Almonds are a delicious and full of B and E vitamins which are good for you and for combating stress.
4) Whole Grains - Your body needs to fuel when dealing with stress– it can’t be running on empty. That’s why it’s important to go for whole grains in your breads and pastas.
5) Fish - Eating fish that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids can potentially help lower your adrenaline levels, making your feel calmer. Great sources of omega-3s include sardines, salmon and tuna.
As a whole, foods that relieve stress should be rich in the following: Magnesium, zinc, vitamin E, vitamin B2. Also consider indulging in protein rich foods to help give you an energy boost.
Eating well is the best way for you to get through stressful times. Don’t fall to temptation and binge on sugary or fatty treats– they may help you feel better initially but won’t do you any favors in the long run.
Laugh More at the Office
Take some time to listen to standup (Pandora has many channels devoted to jokes) or just make it a habit to talk about funny things with your coworkers. Why? Because laughter has incredible stress-busting benefits!
“Laughter has also been shown to have beneficial effects on various other aspects of biochemistry. For example, laughter has been shown to lead to reductions in stress hormones such as cortisol and epinephrine. When laughing the brain also releases endorphins that can relieve some physical pain. Laughter also boosts the number of antibody-producing cells and enhances the effectiveness of T-cells, leading to a stronger immune system.“
Get Up From Your Desk and Move!
Being sedentary all day can exacerbate your stress levels. That’s why it’s better to get moving whenever you can! Go for a walk on your lunch break or make sure you start/end the day at the gym. Studies have shown that people who get more exercise are less likely to feel the impact of stress at work.
Related: Obesity and Unhappiness Linked
Thanks for Reading Ways to Reduce Stress at Work