Generic foods better than name brands – Generic name brand versions of food offered by supermarkets is often cheaper, comes in plainer packaging and generally has a reputation as being the worst quality. However all food abides, or is supposed to, by the standards set out by the FDA so it’s supposed to be safe and sometimes it may even be better than the name brand!
Generic foods better than name brands
The old saying ‘You can’t tell a book by it’s cover’ very much applies to generic foods in my opinion. That plain packaging doesn’t say how good the product inside is and often the big brand foods may even be producing the generic varieties with either slightly modified recipes or no change in recipe at all!
Kelloggs say they don’t produce any generic foods but even in that case I bet you can’t tell a difference between rice crispies and generic puffed rice? In many cases the generic foods may actually be better.
Here are some generic foods that are thought to be better by writer Robert Locard in his article on Fish Bowl.
1. Great Value Light Nonfat Yogurt is better than Dannon Light & Fit.
ADVERTISEMENT: CONTENT CONTINUED BELOW
2. Kroger Ice Cream as good as Dreyer’s and Häagen-Dazs.
3. Kroger Deluxe Pizza as good as DiGiorno and Freschetta.
4. Kirkland Signature Take-and-Bake Pizza vs. Papa Murphy’s Pizza. Costco has less variety but taste awesome.
5. Great Value Instant White Rice the same as Kraft Minute Rice.
6. Great Value Multi-Grain Flakes Cereal the same as General Mills Wheaties.
7. Kirkland Signature Muffins are much better than Any Other Brand.
8. Kroger Creamy Peanut Butter the same as Jif.
9. Kirkland Signature Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate the same as Minute Maid.
10. Great Value Drink Mix taste as good as Kraft Crystal Light.
So what do you think? Are there generic examples that stand out to you?