Jenna Betti killed being sucked into train – An eighth-grader at Martinez Junior High School in California has been killed after it’s said she went to retrieve a cell phone from a train track and was sucked in by it’s vacuum. This sad and unnecessary death is highlighting the danger of kids hanging out around train tracks.
Fellow students at Jenna Betti’s highschool are mourning by wearing pink, her favoirte color, and her family and friends are coming to terms with a death that is generally being considered just a split second bad decision by the 14 year old.
Authorities reported that she was hit by an eastbound Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway freight train struck her just east of Old Orchard Road near Howe Road. The incident happened around 5pm on Sunday. Three crew members saw too people on the tracks, both got off but one came back for an unknown reason. That one was Jenna, whom it’s being said returned to salvage her phone. Her mother said she had been told Jenna was sucked in by a vacuum created by the train.
It’s said that her and a friend were hanging out on the tracks and moved when the train was coming.
Kids like hanging out on tracks maybe because it seems dangerous, maybe because popular culture has made it cool! A lot of stories happen around the tracks, they hold an iconic status. Maybe it’s just somewhere out of the way.
Our thoughts are with Jenna’s family and friends.
Eleven foster kids forced cages reach 2.3million settlement – A case involving 11 fostered children and their once-foster parents who used to sometimes keep them in cages has been reached. At 2.3 million it’s a big big deal and obviously the case has opened up a lot of accusations of neglect for the authorities too. The settlement still needs judges approval.
The incidents happened in Toledo, Ohio. The settlement likely will bring closure on a series of lawshuits and settlements that all started to unravel in 2005. This was when the children, aged 1 – 14 were taken out of the home.
The parents Michael and Sharen Gravelle have already spent two years in prison for abuse towards some of the children and they say the cages were used to protect children who were destructive and those who acted up.
Some of the older kids have now used money from earlier settlements to pay for college tuition and are siad to be doing well. Of course scars from this kind of upbringing may well affect them for the rest of their lives and it’s sad because foster homes are supposed to protect kids from danger.
The story of course runs deeper into the authorities and their neglect and a lot of blaming and denial of disregard is going on. Lets just hope they get to the bottom of this all and it does not happen again.
You can get more detail on this sad story here: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/world/eleven-children-forced-by-adoptive-parents-to-sleep-in-cages-reach-224-million-settlement-in-ohio-20140305-hvg51.html
I think it’s important to note that this is a rare case and give thanks to those who do foster and help children grow up in a loving and caring environment. Fostering is hard work and something I really appreciate. So these bad stories shouldn’t detract from the good work these networks of moms and dads do.
Celine Dion husband throat cancer – Celene Dion is a busy lady with her Vegas show but her husband Rene Angelil had been suffering from throat cancer recently and the star has had to juggle performing with nursing back to health after his successful operation to remove a tumor back in December.
Celene Dion spoke to People.com saying:
“I don’t want Rene to stress out with work-related issues. I want him to focus on getting back to 100 per cent. I’ve been doing my shows at the Colosseum and everything’s under control.
“At home we’ve been spending a lot of quality time with the family. We feel very fortunate that we’ve been able to get the best care possible and we thank God every day for helping us get through this ordeal.”
That’s good news! Love or loathe Celine you can’t wish bad things on her and her family.
Man sues Mcdonalds over napkin – It can be really frustrating when a restaurant doesn’t provide as you feel it should. After all you pay for the food, you expect some level of service and comfort! One man saw his frustrations reach boiling point and is now suing the burger giant for $1.5 million.
They must have really really really peed him off, right? Well reports are saying the crux of the matter is that a McDs restaurant did not give him enough napkins! WTF!!!!!!
Now, we don’t like the chain very much but this is just a little over the top, in our eyes! Let us take a deeper look at the story.
However as always there is always more to a story and the man may just be trying to make a huge point because it’s being said he claims there was a racial issue to the whole thing! No he wasn’t diectly given too few napkins because of his African Americanness but a discussion between him and the Latino manager allegedly included a potential racist remark.
TMZ reported that Webster Lucas said that his local McDs in Pacoima, CA only gave him one napkin on January 29th (2014). He asked for more at the counter and was refused by the manager who said he had already received some.
The lawsuit claims that Lucas retorted to the manager saying ”I should have went to eat at the Jack-in-the-Box because I didn’t come here to argue over napkins. I came here to eat.”
Lucas then claims the manager mumbled a remark containing “you people” which could be assumed to be racist!
An email complaint resulted in an offer of free burgers but Lucas claimed that he was suffering due to ”undue mental anguish” and decided to sue for $1.5 million!
Is this all too much or is Lucas’s point valid?
Story source: http://tmz.me/1hFjTpk
Cornell Robinson robbed pregnant woman in labour – Two men have been arrested and charged for a crime beyond comprehension. They stand accused of robbing a woman who was just about to give birth, in labour!
Criminals often strike the weak but this is seriously twisted. I’m sure giving birth is close to the most vulnerable spot a human can find themselves in! 24 year old Devery Kelley and 44 year old Cornell Robinson are accused of holding up the woman and a man at gunpoint. This is said to have happened in Anapolis, Maryland early on Sunday.
The pair robbed the couple, while the woman was in labour, then fled in a stolen vehicle and threw a hand gun out of the window according to reports. After abandoning the vehicle they carried on on foot, I guess it was then they were caught.
The woman obviously had pressing matters at hand so she was rushed to Anne Arundel Medical Center and thankfully was said to be in good health.
It’s not being reported if the criminals knew the woman was in labour but we can assume it’s pretty obvious!
Of course labour or not, this is a horrific crime.
Details sourced from The Mercury: http://bit.ly/1kSzZvR
Pistorius trial witness heard screams – The trial of Oscar Pistorius is being watched closely by the world. In 2012 he was a man of the hour and now he stands accused of murder and could face a long long time in prison.
He shit his girlfriend but claims he did so in self defence as he thought she was an intruder hiding in the bathroom.
Now the first witness has taken to the stand and talked of hearing blood curdling screams. The witness held steadfast to the story through cross examination.
Yahoo News reported:
neighbor Michelle Burger testified that she was woken in the middle of the night by a woman shouting for help.
“I was still sitting in the bed and I heard her screams,” Burger, who lives 177 meters (194 yards) from Pistorius’ home in an adjacent housing complex, told the Pretoria High Court.
“She screamed terribly and she yelled for help. Then I also heard a man screaming for help. Three times he yelled for help,” she said, speaking in Afrikaans through an interpreter.
Thinking it was a violent break-in – a possibility in crime-ridden South Africa – Burger said her husband called the private security firm guarding their upmarket Pretoria housing estate before the pair heard more shouts.
“I heard the screams again. It was worse. It was more intense,” said Burger, a Pretoria University economics lecturer. “She was very scared,” she added, her voice cracking with emotion.
“Just after her screams, I heard four shots. Four gun-shots,” she said. “Bang … bang, bang, bang.”
“It was very traumatic for me. You could hear that it was bloodcurdling screams.” After the final shot, the screams “started fading”, she added later.
Read more on Yahoo: http://yhoo.it/1fCgY1t
Jennifer Lawrence hiatus rumor – Harvey Weinstein recently spoke to the British press and basically said that Jennifer Lawrence was taking a year long hiatus. Of course the star who is at the top of her game is wanted everywhere right now so it seems like utter madness!
Weinstein told The Sun on Sunday:
“She’s going to have a long break for a year where she won’t do anything. It’s been non-stop for her and she deserves a rest… Jennifer is too nice and will do people favors and agrees to do a movie like American Hustle when she could have had a rest.”
However during an MTV red carpet interview before the Oscars yesterday Jennifer put those rumours to bed and said:
“That’s just Harvey Weinstein being an idiot. No, he’s not being an idiot, I don’t know. I would like to take a year off, that would be a dream. I’d like to if I could.”
So you don’t have to worry about her disappearing just yet.
Ian Cuthbert wife flyer - “Married 16/03/2013 & Committing Adultery Within Days!” and “LOCK UP YOUR HUSBANDS.”! That’s what a flyer said adorned with a scantily clad woman distrubuted near the workplace of a jilted lover.
In a bid to ruin his ex-lovers name it’s being said that Ian Cuthbert made and spread the flyers near her workplace at a primary school and around town.
Alison Kidd expressed that she was not surprised and that her ex-lover was bitter. The smear campaign and what she says are mere accusations are said to have started when she announced she was leaving him, throwing him into a rage.
More details of this disgraceful behavior can be read here: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/wife-reveals-abuse-as-man-posted-underwear-flyers-1-3320664
Man wakes up in body bag – A 78 year old farmer says he is glad to be alive after waking up in a body bag!
Walter Williams was declared dead without a pulse and wrapped in a body bag and taken to a Mississippi funeral home.
When workers went to open the bag to prepare for embalming they found Walter kicking and screaming, very much alive!.It was a Thursday morning, he had been pronounced dead the evening before around 9pm.
He was rushed to hospital. It’s thought his pacemaker stopped working and then started up again.
Crags Hotel revenge against complaining guests – The internet has made booking places to stay much better with review systems, guest ranking and active discussion easily accessible. This can create some interesting back and forth between guests and owners, often starting with a negative guest review!
Crags Hotel in Callander, Scotland received a negative review from some guests on Trip Advisor and the owner decided to respond back in an epic (and now viral) way tipping a hat to Basil Fawlty.
The guests left a scathing review that complained the place was a “Nightmare” and that people should steer clear. The review can be seen below in the Trip Advisor screen grab.
So, the owner, Mr Scrivener replied in epic fashion. Some of his rant read:
from henceforth I will remember Valentine’s as the miserable day that I had the misfortune to meet you, your husband and your friends from England! And the 16th Feb. will now be called ’Hatchet Sunday’ in memory of the review you left us.
And went onto read:
I understand that you were angry with me … to arrive at a hotel and be told that you can’t have the room you booked is frustrating! I get that! That is why I gave you a free bottle of wine … and £15 off the room … and a free night’s stay in March!
“(I was contemplating also throwing in a wee hug for you both … but I felt there might be health consequences!).
“I have struggled to understand why you then felt the need to go on a drunken rant through the hotel, threatening customers and shouting abuse?
“ … In conclusion. you have ruined me! You have set my therapy back some six months … You have stripped me of my greatest strength. my compassion. I will be forever, a ‘Basil’.”
Sadly I can’t find the full rant as it’s been taken down but you get the picture!
It was also confirmed that the Reviewer’s husband was arrested for his violent beahvior!
Of course “Basil” has been getting positive reviews for his rant and it may actually be doing his business some good with people saying they plan to visit.
Also it seems it’s not the first time he has assumed the Basil role in response to a complaint but his hotel does receive mostly very positive reviews.
More details: http://bit.ly/1ceOLx9